My baby is FOUR? Where has the time gone Paisley girl? Seems like just yesterday we loaded you up and moved across country with you only a few weeks old. And here we are moving across country again. I knew this day would come, but it’s come so much quicker than I could have imagined. I have loved and cherished every single second being your mama. You light up my life and are, of course, my Sunshine Girl.
I dont even know where to begin explaining how much I love you. I’ve never met a sweeter and more happy little girl. Your kindness astounds me! You are always so eager to help whatever I’m doing, you always have a spring in your step and a song in your heart. I wish I could be just like you! You are so quick to forgive, and just as quick to laugh and offer a smile, what an amazing example you are to me! Even when I tell you no, you quickly offer up a grin and a “maybe next time!” Your sister loves you and wants to be just like you. Your brother is always so happy to see your sweet face.
This year for your birthday, you said you wanted to have an ‘Orange’ party since orange is your favorite color. I wasnt sure what you meant by that, but when I put two and two together and realized you’re my Sunshine Girl, I knew exactly what we needed to do… A SUNSHINE party. You, Paisley Jane, are my sunshine, “My only sunshine. You make me happy when skies are gray. You never know, dear, how much I love you. Please dont take my Sunshine away.
I love you to the SUN and back my sweet girl. Always and forever.
With moving day seriously just around the corner, I was so stressed out about this party. It would be the last one with friends here in Iowa, we were moving in a week and was trying to pack and juggle the three kids and cousins that came to town. (Seriously, Kate… How did we do it?!) I was worried Paisley would feel a little jibbed. Plus she wanted an Orange party?! How was I supposed to pull that off? What does that even mean?! Well thanks to The Alison Show, I was able to make some awesome sugar cookies in the shape of sunshines and BAM. Done and done. Let’s decorate cookies and call it good. The cookies were a blast to make and actually taste amazing. (You seriously should take Alison’s cookie course.) We also played with the parachute and danced to a playlist of sunshine songs. (List below)
The decorations were a piece of cake… I mean cookie. Just some simple and inexpensive pom poms (tutorial here.) An assortment of pink and yellow table settings from Target, and my chalkboard wall, which I am DYING over! Isnt it darling?! Seriously, everyone needs a chalkboard wall. I have to make sure I sketch it out beforehand or else I’m just wasting chalk because I’ll totally mess up if I just wing it.
A Few Tips to Do Your Own Sunshine Party:
- Prepare cookies beforehand. I made the cookies and frosted them so they kids had a solid background for their cookie canvas a few days beforehand.
- I made my frosting the day of and put them in squeeze bottles. Easier for little hands to maneuver. The kids just used this as a glue to stick on their sprinkles and candy.
- Make a playlist! There’s a lot of songs about sunshine out there and it was kinda a nice little touch. Here’s my list: Pocket Full of Sunshine (Natasha Bedingfield) Here Comes the Sun (The Beatles) Walkin on Sunshine (Katrina and the Waves) Sunshine and Summer Time (Faith Hill) You Are My Sunshine (Johnny Cash) and of course, Can’t Stop the Feeling (Justin Timberlake)
- Plan a few more activities. This was my bad. We scheduled a party for an hour and a half thinking we’d have time to decorate and open presents. I misjudged how long they’d take decorating and had some time to kill, luckily my experience with children’s parties helped me fill the time by playing freeze dance, reading stories and playing duck duck goose.
- Give each child a few treat cups with their own sprinkles so they arent fighting over who gets what. Everyone already has a little of everything!
- Each child got to decorate two cookies. One to eat while at the party, and one to take home as a party favor. (Another awesome tip from Alison who says to use decorations/activities as favors.)
I must say… If you do a party like this, be prepared to be cleaning up sprinkles for awhile. The kiddo’s went a little crazy. But it’s a PARTY so go crazy right? 😉